ANALYSIS OF AIR FLOW THROUGH THE ENGINE INTAKE AND EXHAUST DUCTS
The paper presents numerical analysis of charge exchange in an opposed-piston two-stroke engine. The research engine is a newly designed internal diesel engine. This unit is composed of three cylinders in which operate three pairs of opposed-pistons. The numerical investigations were carried out using ANSYS FLUENT solver. The geometrical model includes an intake manifold, a cylinder and an outlet manifold. The calculations specified a swirl coefficient obtained under steady conditions for fully open intake and exhaust ports as well as the CA value of 280° for all cylinders. In addition, mass flow rates were identified separately in all of the intake and exhaust ports to achieve the best possible uniformity of flow in particular cylinders.
charge exchange; opposed-piston engine; CFD analysis; ANSYS fluent
2. K. Siadkowska, and Z. Czyż, “Selecting a material for an aircraft diesel engine block”, Combustion Engines = Silniki Spalinowe, vol. 178, no. 3, pp. 4-8, 2019.
3. L. Grabowski, Z. Czyż, and K. Kruszczynski, “Numerical Analysis of Cooling Effects of a Cylinders in Aircraft SI Engine”, SAE Technical Paper, 2014-01-2883, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2883.
4. M. Bialy, M. Wendeker, P. Magryta, Z. Czyż, and R. Sochaczewski, “CFD Model of the Mixture Formation Process of the CNG Direct Injection Engine”, SAE Technical Paper, 2014-01-2575, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2575.
5. C. Abagnale, M. C. Cameretti, L. De Simio, M. Gambino, S. Iannaccone, and R. Tuccillo, “Combined numerical-experimental study of dual fuel diesel engine”, Energy Procedia, vol. 45, pp. 721–730. doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2014.01.077.
6. R. Sochaczewski, Z. Czyż, K. Siadkowska, “Modeling a fuel injector for a two-stroke diesel engine”, COMBUSTION ENGINES / SILNIKI SPALINOWE, no 3, vol. 170, s. 147-153, 2017.
7. J. Czarnigowski, M. Wendeker, P. Jakliński, K. Pietrykowski, A. Nazarewicz, M. Gęca, and T. Zyska, “Testing non-uniformity of the combustion process in a radial aircraft engine”, SAE Technical Paper, 2007-01-2074.
8. M. Gęca, M. Wendeker, and G. Litak, “Combustion variability and uniqueness in cylinders of a large power radial engine”, Journal of Vibroengineering, vol. 14, p. 582-590, 2012.
9. N. B. Hung, S. Jaewon, and O. Lim, “A Study of the Scavenging Process in a Two-stroke Free Piston Linear Engine using CFD,” Energy Procedia, vol. 142, pp. 1353–1360, 2017.
10. N. B. Hung, and O. Lim, “A review of free piston linear engines”, Applied Energy, 178, pp. 78-97, 2016.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
All articles published in Journal of Technology and Exploitation in Mechanical Engineering (JTEME) are open-access. New works in this journal are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.